If an error is discovered in reporting the payer (not recipient) name and/or TIN, the payer should write a letter to the IRS

  • containing the following information: 
  •  Name and address of payer 
  • Type of error (include the incorrect payer name/TIN that was reported) 
  • Tax year 
  • Correct payer TIN 
  • TCC 
  • Type of return 
  • Number of payees 
  • Filing method, paper or electronic 
  • If federal income tax was withheld 

Mail correspondence to:

Internal Revenue Service
230 Murall Drive, Mail Stop 4360
Kearneysville, WV 25430 

See Publication 1220 for more information.